© 2021 Luci di Lucca – All rights reserved. P.IVA 02221610468
About Our Products
Where are your products made?
Our candles and wax melts are 100% made in italy. They are hand-crafted in our atelier at Villa Grabau in Lucca, Tuscany. We produce our candles in small batches following artisanal methods.
What kind of wax do you use?
We use a blend of rapeseed and coconut wax from sustainable non-GM European sources.
Our waxes are 100% plant-based, biodegradable and completely free from paraffin, soy, palm, beeswax and additives. They are extremely eco-friendly and renewable and have a significant, reduced carbon footprint since they are produced within Europe.
What type of wicks do you use?
We use cotton wicks to ensure our candles burn cleanly.
Do you use synthetic fragrances?
Good question! We work with independent master perfumers who design fragrances specifically for our candles and wax melts. Our candle fragrances contain a high percentage of natural essential oils and carefully chosen synthetic aroma molecules to enhance the olfactory effect and burn performance of our candles. These aroma molecules allow us to 1) create more complex scent profiles and 2) combat the extinction of increasingly rare flower and animal species.
Are your products vegan and cruelty free?
Our products are made with plant-based wax that is 100% vegan friendly. Our fragrances are also vegan friendly and none of our products or ingredients have been tested on animals.
How fragrant are your products?
The experience of fragrance is subjective and varies greatly from one person to another. Some of us like our home fragrance subtle and in the background, others like it strong and noticeable. We use between 8% and 10% fragrance oil in our products. You can find more information on our Fragrance page.
What is the best sized candle for my space?
Size maters when it comes to your candle’s ability to release its fragrance into a room. The larger the surface of your candle, the larger the space it can easily fill with scent. Our candle fragrances also have naturally different strengths. Some of them are designed to provide a soft, subtle scent while others are designed to be more intense. Larger living spaces may require more than one candle to scent the entire room. Below is a guide to assist you in selecting the correct candle to compliment your space.
Small Candle (55g / 1.94oz) Burn time 20 – 25 hours. Surface diameter is 50mm. These work best within small defined areas such as a small bathroom, powder room, bedside table, laundry or your desk/work area. The small size is also perfect for wedding favours.
Classic Candle (275g / 9.70oz) Burn time 55 – 65 hours. Surface diameter is 85mm. These are suitable for medium sized spaces such as a kitchen, dining room, living room, bedroom or office. A larger living room may require more than one candle.
What is a wax melt?
Wax melts are small pieces of scented wax that are heated gently to release their scent. They do not have a wick like a traditional candle and require a specific wax burner to melt and diffuse the fragrance. Both electric burners and traditional tealight burners are suitable for wax melts.
One 20g wax melt yields approximately 12 -16 hours of fragrance. Wax melts are suitable for medium to large sized spaces such as a kitchen, dining room, living room, bedroom or office. The fragrance produced from wax melts is usually stronger than a traditional candle.
Do you sell wax burners to use with your wax melts?
Since we have just launched, we don’t yet have a wax burner ready to sell. We are working on our own unique design which we will reveal as soon as it is ready. You can sign up to our newsletter to stay abreast of news and offers.
How long do your candles and wax melts last?
If you follow our guidelines and instructions for use, your candles and wax melts will last as follows:
Classic Candle (275g / 9.70oz) lasts approximately 55 – 65 hours.
Small travel candle (55g / 1.94oz) lasts approximately 20 – 25 hours.
Scented Wax Melts – One 20g wax melt yields approximately 12 -16 hours of fragrance.
What makes Luci di Lucca products different?
A good candle is not created quickly or cheaply, especially those that are hand-crafted. To make a beautifully scented candle that burns cleanly and evenly right to the bottom is not as easy as many people think. There are so many variables to consider with every single fragrance, wax, wick and container combination – trial and error and hundreds of hours of testing is part of our process.
All our products are made by hand in small batches. In terms of ingredients, we only use the very best quality and our fragrances are made exclusively by artisan perfumers for our products – you will not find our fragrances anywhere else. We test all our products rigorously and continuously and do not stop until we achieve the perfect result.
Can your candle containers be recycled or repurposed?
Yes, they can. Our elegant candle containers are made from eco-crystal glass and are fully recyclable. You can also repurpose your glass container into vases, storage vessels for makeup or pencils, tea light holders and more. Because our candles burn evenly all the way to the bottom, there should be very little remaining wax residue and your container should be easy to clean.
Once the candle is finished, simply clean the container wax using hot water and washing up liquid or a solution of 1:1 water and vinegar. Remove the metal wick holder and you will be left with a beautiful eco-crystal container.
Please note: vessels should be hand washed and never placed inside a dishwasher.
Be sure to tag @lucidilucca and #slowcraftedcandles on instagram to show us how you repurpose your Luci di Lucca candle containers!
Do you offer a refill service?
For local customers, you can have your empty container refilled with your favourite fragrance for a discounted price. Our refill service is by appointment only. Please refer to our Candle Refill Service page for more information.
Please note that pick-up is from our studio space. It is not a store-front and in-person shopping is unavailable at the moment.
Are your products compliant with CLP regulations?
Classification, Labelling and Packaging (CLP) is the information that is required on fragrance packaging in accordance with EU Regulation (EC) No 1272/2008. It’s the label that you will find on the base of your candle container, your candle packaging or your wax melts packaging.
All our products are CLP compliant. Safety instructions are also included in a small brochure supplied with our products.
Candle wax and/or melts are not designed to come into direct contact with the skin and should be kept out of the reach of children and pets.
Are scented candles triggers for asthma or allergies?
Many people regularly use scented candles without any negative effects. However, it is always possible that a particular fragrance can trigger a negative reaction in a very small percentage of sensitive individuals. Individuals with known sensitivities to specific fragrances may want to avoid candles of those scents. In addition, consumers should remember to burn all candles, whether scented or unscented, in a well-ventilated area.
The bottom line is that candles which are well made, by reputable companies, and which are properly wicked and contain high quality ingredients, are unlikely to cause any harm when used on a regular basis, unless users have issues with severe asthma, allergies or other breathing difficulties. As with all things in life, it is about moderation: limiting burning times to around 4 hours at a time and ensuring your home is well ventilated will significantly reduce any impact.
What’s the best way to care for my scented candle?
Carefully read all information and follow the instructions for use provided with your candle or wax melts.
To get the most from your scented candle:
- Always trim the candle’s wick to 5mm before every burn. This will ensure an even and smoke-free burn, help to prolong the life of your candle and will stop the build-up of carbon on the sides of the glass. Use a wick trimmer to trim the wick if you have one, otherwise, you can use sharp scissors or nail clippers.
- Do not relight your candle when the wax level is less than 1cm as your container may get very hot without enough wax/ wick to burn properly.
- When you light your candle for the first time, allow it to burn until the wax has melted to the very edge of the glass (maximum 4 hours). This will ensure the candle burns evenly down the glass and lasts for as long as possible. When you have extinguished the flame, if necessary, re-centre the wick in the liquid wax.
- For subsequent burns, do not burn any candle for more than four hours at a time and allow it to cool for at least two hours before relighting. Do not burn a candle all the way down to the bottom. Discontinue the candle when 5mm of wax remains.
- Remove dust cover before use and replace it when the candle has cooled. Store candles in a cool, dry place to protect their integrity.
- Keep candles out of direct contact with sunlight, heat and humidity
Whats the best way to care for my scented wax melts?
Carefully read all information and follow the instructions for use provided with your candle or wax melts.
To get the most from your scented wax melt:
- Only use in burners designed specifically for wax melts. It is important that there is a distance of at least 6 cm between the heat source and the bottom of the dish that holds the wax melt. Our wax melts are suitable for both traditional tealight burners and electric wax warmers. Read and follow the safety/usage instructions provided with your wax burner.
- Only use one wax melt at a time in the wax burner. Place it in the dish of the wax burner and turn on the heat source. As the dish heats up, the wax will melt and release its fragrance. When the heat source is turned off, the wax will cool and re-harden. Each wax melt can be re-heated several times before it needs to be replaced.
- Only use a standard size 4-hour tea light with a wax burner. Use only unscented tea lights. Do not use the burner with a maxi tea-light, votive or any other type of candle.
- Unlike candles, wax melts do not evaporate or burn down; only the scent dissipates from the molten wax. Change the wax melt when the fragrance becomes faint. To remove the used wax, wait until the wax has cooled to a solid mass. Then turn the heat source on and wait 30 – 45 seconds until the wax has warmed slightly. It should be possible to gently remove the wax as a solid mass without the need for any force. Never use metal or sharp objects to remove the wax or put the dish containing the wax in the freezer, as this may damage the burner or cause injury.
- Dispose of the old wax appropriately. Do not put wax down the sink as the wax may harden cand cause a blockage. Clean your warmer using soap and water and then start again with a new wax melt
- Store your wax melts in their packaging and keep them them out of direct contact with sunlight, heat and humidity.
How do you store candles and wax melts?
Our candles and wax melts are best stored in cool, dry rooms, away from sunlight. Candles failures resulting from exposure to the sun are not subject to complaints. The natural wax will start to soften and melt at a temperature of about 45-50 degrees C. We also suggest you keep the candles in the original packaging to keep the fragrance for longer.
How long will my candle and wax melts keep for?
We recommend that when not in use, store your candles and wax melts in a cool, dry place. Do not expose them to excessively high or low temperatures or strong sunlight. We recommend that you use your candles and wax melts within 12 months of purchase to ensure optimal performance and fragrance.
Why do some candles and wax melts turn yellow over time?
Natural waxes can be affected by natural and/or artificial light and can start to discolour over time. Some fragrances also contain ingredients (such as vanilla, citrus, etc) that may cause your candle or wax melt to develop a yellow tint. If your candle or wax melt has a tint when you purchase it, or if it develops a tint over time, it’s completely natural and will not affect the scent or quality of your candle or wax melt.
How long should I burn my candle for?
We recommend burning our classic candles for a maximum of 4 hours each time or until the melt pool has reached the edge of the container, this is particularly important on the first burn to prevent “tunnelling” , where the candle burns a hole or “tunnel” down the center of the candle, while leaving a ring of un-melted wax on the inside of the container).
For our smaller travel candles, we recommend a maximum of 3 hours at a time.
Why does my candle have a white residue/frost on it?
“Frosting” is a perfectly natural effect and is unique to vegetable waxes. It is the natural wax recrystallizing. This will not affect the scent or quality of your candle.
My candle arrived with small cracks on the surface – is it normal?
Due to the nature of natural, plant-based waxes, it is completely normal to have some cracks on the surface. This can happen during shipping when there are extreme temperature fluctuations. This will not affect the scent or quality of your candle.
Why does my candle still have some wax left on the side of the container after a few burns?
We test our candles thoroughly to ensure that the wax burns evenly all the way to the bottom of the candle. If you follow our guidelines and instructions for use, you should never experience the problem of wax left on the sides of your container. However, if you do, it could be for a number of reasons.
- You candle is burned for short bursts at a time rather than for the recommended 4 hours at a time. Wax has a type of ‘memory’ when it solidifies and then remelts, so it is important to burn your candle until the wax surface is melted and a full melt pool is reached (usually around 4 hours). This is particularly important for the first burn to ensure the melted wax reaches the sides of the container.
- With container candles, as a candle burns down, it gets hotter towards the bottom. It is therefore common to have some wax on the sides of the glass after the first few burns, but this wax hang-up will usually melt and disappear the further the candle burns.
- Another reason a candle might burn unevenly could be due to the curling of the wick. Some wicks are ‘self-trimming’. These wicks actually curl slightly to one side, which means that the flame burns slightly off centre and can result in more wax hang-up on one side of the container. Again, this is common and the ‘hang up’ of wax on one side will gradually disappear as the candle gets near to the bottom.
My candle has a dust cover - should I put this on when not using my candle?
Yes, absolutely! Once your candle is fully extinguished, put the dust cover back on it to keep it clean and free from dust.
Why does the wick on my candle have lot of black carbon build up on it after burning?
Carbon build-up on a wick is natural and is referred to as a “mushroom” or “bloom”. A small amount of mushrooming is normal with certain fragrances. It is important that before every burn, you trim your wick to 5mm to remove any carbon build up. This will avoid any black smoke and ensure that your flame doesn’t get too high. It will also prevent carbon debris falling into your wax. You can use special wick trimmers for this but scissors are also fine.
Which payment methods do you accept?
We accept major credit and debit cards through our payment gateway partner Stripe, we well as Paypal.
How do I cancel or modify my order?
Any order can be changed or cancelled, so long as it hasn’t left our atelier. If you haven’t received your shipment confirmation email and would like to change or cancel your order, please email us as soon as possible at info[at]lucidilucca.com
Can I track my order progress?
Orders are shipped within 3-5 business days following the day the order was placed. Once an order has shipped, an email will be sent with the tracking information.
Can I collect my order in person?
We are a small home-based business and occasionally, it is possible for local customers to collect orders directly from our atelier. If you choose local pick-up at checkout, we will email you to arrange a day and time to come and collect your products.
The item I want is out of stock or not available in the quantity I would like
As a small business we keep our stock levels low but we replenish regularly. We can also make to order so if something you are looking for is currently out of stock on our website, please email or message us with the details and we will let you know as soon as it is back in stock.
Do you offer discounts on large orders?
Yes we do. Some examples of large orders we are happy to accommodate are:
- Candles or wax melts as unique wedding favours for your special day.
- Candles as gifts to your corporate clients.
- Candles to burn in your salon/spa/hotel
Please contact us to discuss your bulk order needs.
Can I buy your products wholesale to sell them in my store?
If you are a EU based shop owner that values hand-crafted quality goods with sustainability in mind, we would love to work with you. Learn more about collaborating with us or how to join our growing list of wholesale partners.
Do you ship overseas?
Yes, we ship all over the world. Shipping rates are applied at checkout; add the products you’re interested in to your cart and update the shipping address to view your shipping costs.
If your shipping address isn’t shown and you wish to purchase our products, please contact us.
How long will it take to get my order?
We make every effort to ship your orders as quickly as possible. All orders are shipped from our atelier in Italy. Most orders are shipped within 3 – 5 business days following the day the order was placed.
European deliveries will take 2 – 5 business days to arrive.
Overseas deliveries can take anywhere from 6-10 business days to arrive.
Can I track the shipment of the order?
Yes, once your order has been completed and transferred to a courier, you will automatically receive an email with your tracking number which can be used to track your order directly online.
What are your shipping costs?
Shipping rates are applied at checkout and are calculated on the weight of your shipment. Add the products to your shopping cart and choose your shipping destination to view your shipping costs.
Please note, any customs fees and duties applied to a shipment are not included in the cost of shipping and are the customer’s responsibility to pay. These charges will be country specific depending on where the purchase is made from.
Shipping costs up to 1kg in weight:
Italy – €10
Estimated shipping time 2 – 3 business days. Enjoy FREE SHIPPING on orders over €100
Europe – €20
Estimated shipping time 3 – 5 business days. Enjoy FREE SHIPPING on orders over €150
Extra UE (UK, Norway, Switzerland) – €20.
(Estimated shipping time 3-5 business days. Enjoy FREE SHIPPING on orders over €150
Canada / United States – €20
Estimated shipping time 3-5 business days. Enjoy FREE SHIPPING on orders over €300
Australia / New Zealand – €26
Estimated shipping time 6-8 business days. Enjoy FREE SHIPPING on orders over €300
Why is the shipping weight so much more than the net weight of the product?
The net weight of our candles and wax melts refers to the weight of the wax only. It does not include the weight of the glass vessel or the packaging of the product. The shipping weight includes the wax, the glass vessel, the packaging and the shipping carton.
|Product||Net Weight||Shipping weight|
|Large Candle||275g / 9.7 oz||975g|
|Small Candle||55g / 1.94oz||225g|
|Wax melts||80g / 2.82 oz||175g|
Refunds & Returns
What is your cancellation and returns policy?
We are sure you will love our products as much as we do, but if you are unhappy with your purchase, you have a right to cancel or exchange your order within 14 days of receipt of the goods. A full refund will be issued provided the full order is returned undamaged within 14 days of cancellation. Customers must bear the cost of returning the goods. For further information please read our full Terms & Conditions available at the foot of the page.
Please note that all items must be returned unused, with authentic labels and in original packaging. If goods returned are not in a re-sellable condition, we may not accept your return. Any promotional gifts received with your purchase must also be returned.
When returning your goods, please enclose a copy of your original order receipt, the shipping documents and any email correspondence you have had with Luci di Lucca about your order cancellation or return.
Only products bought directly through Luci di Lucca (www.lucidilucca.com) can be returned or exchanged. If you have purchased goods via one of our retail partners, you must return your products to the original store of purchase, in accordance with their return/cancellation policy. Luci di Lucca will not accept returns on behalf of other stores or retailers.
All returns are made at the customer’s own cost and risk. Shipping costs for the returned goods are non-refundable. We will refund the shipping cost of your returns only if the items are faulty or damaged. We recommend that customers send returns via tracked delivery, as we will not assume responsibility for items lost in transit. We reserve the right to deduct the cost of retrieving the goods if not returned by the customer (unless faulty/damaged). Provided goods are returned in their original condition, a full refund (including your original delivery charges at basic cost) will be made within 14 days from receipt for goods to Luci di Lucca.
How long does a refund take?
Once your return is received and inspected, we will send you an email to notify you that we have received your returned item. We will also notify you of the approval or rejection of your refund. If approved, we will issue the refund within 14 days. Your refund will be credited to you through the original payment method.
Note that depending on the payment method you used, it may take more than 14 days for the credit to appear on your bank statement. If you believe your refund is missing, first check your bank account. Then contact your credit card company as it may take them some time before your refund is officially posted. Next contact your bank. There is often some processing time before a refund is posted. If you’ve done all of this and you still have not received your refund yet, please contact us.
What are the steps required to cancel an order and return a product?
- You must inform Luci di Lucca of your decision to cancel the order and return the goods by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org within 14 working days from the date of delivery of the goods.
- After receiving an acknowledgement of receipt from Luci di Lucca, you should arrange, at your expense, to send the product by express courier in its original packaging, to the following address:
Tuscan Enterprises of Siobhan Hughes, Via di Matraia 269, 55100 Lucca (LU), ITALY.
You should include a copy of the acknowledgement email from Luci di Lucca, your order document and your shipping receipt.
- The entire purchased product should be returned unopened in the original packaging with all seals intact (including wrapping and any documentation, internal brochures or free samples).
- You are entirely responsible for the shipping until the returned goods reach our warehouse. In no case will Luci di Lucca be liable for damage, loss and/or theft of products returned using uninsured shipping. Please ensure you receive proof of postage or delivery. We are responsible for your parcel only once it has been received by us. Items lost in transit will not be treated as returned and cannot be exchanged or refunded
- All returned goods will be examined upon receipt . We may not provide a full refund if the goods show signs of unreasonable use.
- Once we have processed your return, we will contact you by e-mail.
- Your right to cancel or exchange your order shall be forfeited if we determine the existence of any of the following conditions:
– Use, even partial, of the product and any consumables;
– Missing original inner packaging and/or external packaging;
– Missing product components (documentation, manuals);
– Product damage for reasons other than those caused during shipment.
In such cases, we will arrange to return the goods to you, and you will be charged the shipping costs.
What happens if my product arrives damaged?
Any items which are received broken or damaged will be exchanged or refunded. You have 24 hours to submit a complaint via email about any damage caused during shipping, Please submit your complaint with photographic evidence of the damaged goods. Once we have received your compliant and examined the evidence, we will contact you about the outcome. If we deem the product to be damaged during shipping, you are entitled to a refund within 14 days from receipt of your complaint. After this period, a replacement product will be offered instead.
Can I return goods that have been purchased on sale?
Goods purchased as sale items or special purchase items may not be returned or exchanged unless faulty.